Give your children the gift of TIME, and invest in their passions.
One beautiful thing about being home with our families is the chance we have to let our children totally immerse in their passions. Embrace the unique opportunity of TODAY. Because of Covid-19 we are all living more home centered lives. Let this extra time at home be a time in your family when talents bloom and grow.
1. Chill. Stop pushing them in the direction you want them to go in. Let go of anything, including irrelevant schoolwork, that stresses your children, or brings contention between you and your children. Stop focusing on the child's weaknesses and total invest in their gifts instead. Let your child focus on becoming who they want to become. Take your child's hobbies and interests seriously.
2. Allow Boredom. We don't need to entertain our children. We need to empower them. What an incredible opportunity we have to set aside all the clutter, business, non-essentials and immerse in our talents. Let your children become bored without immediately feeding their boredom with a screen, an activity, a plan, a game, or worksheets. Let them learn to muse, have ideas, become thinkers, inventors, artists, dreamers and creators.
3. Give. When your child shows interest in something, give them the time they need to explore that interest. If possible provide books, tutorials and supplies to help them learn more. Let them go beyond learning about it to actually DOING it themselves.
4. Leave them alone. When you see that your child is truly immerses in their passion, don't interrupt them. To become great at anything a person needs to get into the FLOW. They need to lose themselves in their passion while they work on their project. It's like they are in another world. They can focus deeply and pour their mind and imagination into learning and creating. When your child is in the FLOW and totally losing track of time, really focused, that's when talent is taking over. Respect your child's focus.
5. Celebrate their work. Don't expect perfection to develop quickly. Praise progress, creativity, and focus. Display their work in the home and on social media. Show others how proud you are of your child's efforts and talents.
In our normal rushed and busy life children are burdened with so many things they must do. Let it all fall away, and let them become who the were meant to be.